Q. What experience/qualifications do I need?
All health professionals need to have current unrestricted professional registration in their field. For a full list of the qualifications, experience, and documentation required for health professionals view our Health Professional Info pages at rahc.com.au.

Q. Would I become an Employee or a Contractor of  RAHC?
Individuals can be engaged as either an employee or an individual contractor of RAHC.

To be engaged as a contractor, an individual will be required to provide a current Australian Business Number. Employees will be paid on a fortnightly basis, and contractors will be paid on a monthly basis into an individual’s nominated bank account.

All health professionals working as a contractor must have their own professional indemnity insurance and provide RAHC with evidence of that.

Q. What level of remuneration can I expect?
Each health clinic or service determine the remuneration level therefore there is no set fee per assignment. Individuals will be advised of the rates applicable to the location seeking the services of that particular health professional.

In the majority of instances, remuneration will be a flat fee that is inclusive of all penalties and allowances.

Q. What registration is required?
All health professionals must be registered in Australia and your registration must be valid throughout the period of your placement. In addition, GPs must be eligible to obtain a Medicare provider number.

Q. Do I need previous experience in Indigenous Health?
No. Previous experience is desirable but not essential. As you will be joining experienced teams, there will be clinical and cultural mentors available for guidance and support.

Q. Will Cultural and Clinical Training be provided?
All personnel are required to participate in the RAHC cultural training and clinical orientation program prior to starting a placement. RAHC cultural training introduces health professionals to a range of cultural issues that are important to know about when working with Aboriginal people. These include information about the kinship system and its impact on cross-cultural interactions and the Aboriginal perspectives on death and dying. The clinical orientation introduces health professionals to the way health clinics work in remote areas, and associated references as well as the resources and personal strategies to be aware of in providing culturally appropriate care within an Indigenous remote community.

Q. Will RAHC cover my travel costs?
RAHC will arrange all travel from point of origin in Australia to the assignment site and return. Travel will be arranged from the nearest major airport and we ask individual’s to arrange travel from their home to the airport. For distances greater than 100km from the nearest airport, RAHC will assist in arranging appropriate travel to the airport.

Q. Who will arrange my accommodation?
The health service of clinic will provide suitable accommodation. Most of the accommodation is a furnished house/unit with cooking facilities. In some instances you may be required to share with a fellow health professional deployed to the same location.  Where ever possible, you will be provided with your own accommodation.

In some of the sites, the accommodation will provide have internet access facilities and other telecommunications equipment. Further details on accommodation in a specific locale will be provided prior to the start of a placement.

Q. Will I receive further information when my placment is confirmed?
When a health professional is confirmed for a placement, RAHC will provide a Cultural Orientation Handbook and a community profile specific to the placement location.

Q. Do I require any particular vaccinations to work in remote areas?
It is important to consider your current vaccination status because you will be associated with an increased risk of some vaccine preventable diseases. Furthermore, health care workers may transmit infections such as influenza, measles, rubella, varicella and pertussis to susceptible patients.

The NT Centre for Disease Control (CDC) lists below the recommended immunisations for health professionals working in remote communities:

  • Influenza Vaccine
  • Hepatitis B Vaccine
  • Hepatitis A Vaccine
  • Measles, Mumps and Rubella
  • Varicella Zoster
  • Diphtheria Tetanus Pertussis (single dose of Boostrix)
  • Tuberculosis (TB) Screening

While Tuberculosis screening is not an immunisation, it is recommended for all Remote Health Centre Staff to establish a baseline Mantoux reading or initiate treatment. Such screening for Department of Health and Families staff is a compulsory component of employment conditions. These guidelines cover staff, volunteers and students. Further information on all aspects of immunisation and infectious disease risks to health professionals, please refer the following link: http://remotehealthatlas.nt.gov.au/staff_immunisation.pdf#search=%22immunisation%22

Q. How do I find out more information about RAHC?
Contact RAHC by phone - free call 1300 69 72 42 or email enquiries@rahc.com.au(application) or placement@rahc.com.au(placement). RAHC’s Placement team will then discuss your experience, availability and professional interests and answer any other questions you have about the program.